I don’t know about you, but I only like bananas that are completely yellow – any black or brown and there’s no way I will eat them. BUT! I never ever throw them away!
My go to bake for left over bananas is obviously banana cake!
Here’s the recipe:
130g butter or margarine. (if you don’t line the tin with a loaf case or greaseproof paper, you’ll need a little extra to line the tin)
140g caster sugar
2 large eggs
140g Self Raising Flour
5g baking powder
- Mix the butter and the sugar
- Beat the eggs and mix in
- Mix in the flour and baking powder
- Mash the bananas and mix in (you can also blend the bananas for a smoother texture)
- Line the loaf tin with either a greaseproof case or butter
- Pour the mixture into the tin
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180C, check that a knife or skewer comes out clean, if not give it a little longer in the oven.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here is where you can get creative!
- Add 50g chopped nuts such as walnuts to the cake mixture
- Decorate with a toffee icing or add toffee chunks to the mixture for a Banoffee twist
- Serve with custard for a bananas and custard flavour
- Add 40g cocoa powder or 60g dark chocolate chips to the mixture for a banana and chocolate cake!
- Take out of the oven about 10 minutes early and sprinkle banana chips over the top, put back in the oven until cooked.