We’ve been working hard to bring you a handy guide to navigate the dangerous diet advice clogging our news feeds at this time of year – and now Treat Yourself: The Zine has arrived!
Originally intended to be a printed copy available to pick up around the MMU campus and cafes, we’ve had to re-imagine what is possible, and can provide you with this free downloadable one-sheet guide, which you can print, cut and fold yourself from home! This works best on larger paper (like A3), and depending on your printer you may need to trim off some borders to get everything central (hey, it’s DIY!). You can find guides to folding beak zines all over the internet, like this one here.
However, if cutting out and making-yourself isn’t your style, you can find a booklet PDF below, which you can easily browse on-screen, or print out.
We hope that the information and activities in this zine can provide some reassurance to those of us susceptible to the promotion of fad diets and detoxes. Here are some quick fire facts:
- We all need different amounts of energy to stay alive and keep our bodies functioning – people may have faster or slower metabolisms, regardless of their body size and composition.
- Incorporating physical activity into your daily routine is a simple way to boost your metabolism – that could just be a daily walk or cycle!
- Detoxes and cleanses often tell us that we need them to remove ‘toxins’ from the body – this isn’t true! If our bodies really built up toxins then we’d feel very ill.
- Our intestines, liver and kidneys are actually our bodies’ own detox systems, and work 24/7 to filter out parasites, toxins and waste substances to keep us healthy.
- Starving your body of calories can actually make your body build up ketones, a substance which may make you feel nauseous, confused and light-headed, and can be very serious.
So make sure you eat well (and enough to keep your body going!), take a break and sit down to read through this guide. We’ve worked hard to make a fun, engaging booklet that you can read, fill in and add your own thoughts to. It’ll teach you more about nutrition and how your body works, mindfulness and wellbeing, and give you ideas for setting self-compassionate resolutions for this year.
So download your copy, let us know what you think, and remember to tag any images you share with #TreatYourself and @metmunch !