- 1 ½ lbs okra
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 small green pepper (sliced)
- ¼ yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups water
1. Wash and drain the okra.
2. Peel the stem of the okra in the shape of a cone rather than cutting it flat in order to hinder any gooey substance escaping the okra.
3. Heat olive oil in a deep pan. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
4. Add the green peppers and the tomatoes and sauté for a few more minutes. Dissolve the tomato sauce in the 2 cups water. Pour into the pan.
5. Add the lemon juice, salt, black pepper and let it simmer for a few minutes. Add the okra and stir well, so that the okra absorbs all the flavours.
6. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes and then turn to low and simmer for about 30-40 minutes.
7. Serve hot with rice pilaf and enjoy!