MetMUncher Lindsay Seccombe provides us with some excellent hints and tips about energy boosting breakfast ideas…
As a University Student, choosing the right foods for breakfast is key! It really is the most important meal of the day, it fuels your brain with essential nutrients and energy it needs to help you through a day of lectures. It also satisfies the appetite, helping you to avoid overeating during the day, keeping your fingers off those chocolate bars.
Here are a few of my energy-boosting breakfast ideas:
Peanut Butter and Banana on Toast
We don’t really need a recipe for this one, but it is full of protein and potassium. A great combination which will give you all the nutrients and energy you need on a morning. This filling combo should help to avoid 10am snacking and satisfy your tummy until lunch time.
Avocado and Poached Egg on Toast
So so yummy, providing you with essential healthy fats, protein and carbs from the moment you wake up. Start as you mean to go on!
- Slice the Avocado in half and remove the pip. Scoop out the filling into a bowl and mash together with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Bring a pan on cold water to the boil and add a dash of vinegar. Poach the Egg in by gently adding to boiling water and allow to poach for around 3 minutes.
- Spread the Avocado onto the Toast and finish by placing the Poached Egg on top.
Fruit Salad sprinkled with Quinoa
Your choice of fruit from berries to bananas, slice and chop then sprinkle with a handful of Quinoa for extra energy and fullness to stop your belly from rumbling. Quinoa is an ingredient many of us are unsure of, however this complete protein has other health benefits such as being high in calcium, magnesium several B vitamins and vitamin E. What more could you want on a Monday morning?
If you’re veggie or vegan try adding more quinoa to your diet, as it contains all nine essential amino acid, helping you to meet your recommended daily intake of protein.
Avocado with Egg and Cheese
Another tasty avocado dish containing healthy fats and protein, scoop and eat the contents with a spoon and you’re good to go.
- Slice the Avocado in half and remove the pip.
- Crack half an egg into each half of the Avocado (one will have the pleasure of the yolk).
- Place each half into a baking tray into a preheated oven (180c) for 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper and place back into the oven for a further 2 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Greek Yogurt with Berries
Your choice of berries from strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and so on. Add a spoonful of Greek yogurt for extra calcium and protein to start the day.
Protein Banana Pancakes
This one is good if you’re bulking and love the added protein to your diet.
- Blend together 2 Bananas, 1 tbsp Greek Yogurt, 1 handful of Porridge Oats, 1 Egg and 1 spoonful of Protein Powder.
- Once blended add a pancake sized amount of mixture to a pan containing heated oil and cook on each side for around 1 minute.
- Carry on till all the mixture is used up!