For the sauce:
- 3 Apples
- ½ a lemon
- ½ an inch of ginger
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of cornflour
For the pastry:
- As much as you have leftover
- ½ tbsp dairy free butter, melted
1. Begin by rolling out your leftover pastry on a clean flour dusted surface.
2. Place in your chosen pie dish and cover with foil and baking beans. Cook for 15 minutes.
3. Whilst the pastry is cooking chop the apples and place in a medium sized pan along with the cinnamon, lemon, sugar and ginger, and cover with water.
4. Cook for 8 minutes until the apples appear soft (stir occasionally so the sugar doesn’t burn the bottom of the pan!).
5. Once the pastry and filling are cooked, leave both for 20 minutes to cool completely (place in the fridge if you need to speed up the process).
6. Whilst leaving to cool, melt the butter in a small pan, and then roll out any remaining pastry for the top of the pie.
7. When ready, pour the filling into the pie base and take the melted butter and brush around the edge of the pie, to seal the top and bottom together.
8. Then, taking a fork press lightly around the rim to seal and poke the middle with a knife. Brush the rest of the melted butter over the top of the pie
9. Cook at 180oC for 20-25 minutes.
10. Add slices of apple dipped in cinnamon for added deliciousness and aesthetics.